Re: Printer configuration help request

On 11/14/05, John Wendel <jwendel10@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Kam Leo wrote:
> On 11/14/05, John Wendel <jwendel10@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>Kam Leo wrote:

>>>Try turning off the cups-config-deamon service.
>>>

>>Thanks for the reply, but I don't run the cups-config-daemon.
>>
>>It looks like something (hald ?) is running the redhat printer
>>configuration tool. My printer config file gets modified when the system
>>boots. I don't start cups or the hplip drivers when the system boots,
>>I run them whenever I want to print something (about once a month).
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>John
>>

> If you say so; however, I would verify that the deamon is not started by
> default for runlevels 3-5..

Like I said, I don't run cups or the cups-config-deamon at startup

# chkconfig --list | grep cups
cups            0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off
cups-config-daemon      0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off
6:off

This seems to be a problem with USB hotplug. But I've checked all the
hotplug config files I can find and I don't see any printer stuff.

Thanks,

John

Have you tried enabling cups at startup to see if your problem goes away?

Why have you disabled cups?  Is your system is that resource limited?