Re: Linux on ARM tablets?

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 2:16 PM, Linuxguy123 <linuxguy123@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Redhat might have $1B in revenue, but I think they are missing something
> equally large in the mobile device market

Exactly my thoughts. There´s an opportunity if only to "advance the
bleeding edge Linux" and position the Red Hat and Fedora names
associated with "bleeding edge stuff" namely, tablets.

It doesn´t have to be a commercial product, because if it becomes one
it´ll be immediately subject to the press and the pundits labeling it
a "failure" or compare it to the established Android OS.

This positioning is key. By being just a "pilot" or a "technology
reference", it allows RedHat / Fedora to test the waters, advance the
platform (Linux on tablets) and at the same time please us, the geeks.

The way I dream it, a "Fedora Tablet Edition" would allow downloading
it and reflashing the OS on popular tablets (Samsung´s Galaxy Tab, the
HP TouchPad, or the RIM´s Playbook), and replace it with "Fedora
Tablet Edition". "As is" of course.

If one day the project becomes good enough, then surely tablet makers
will select it for pre-installation into the devices.

Technically, if you think about it, all tablets are ARM based systems
with touch screen and wi-fi. I´m not sure there would be huge
differences, from the point of view of the underlying hardware drivers
needed.

Just my $0.02
FC