Re: System policy to shutdown as normal user?

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 8:58 PM, Alex <mysqlstudent@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> No, what I was referring to was similar to providing the ability for
> normal users to apply package updates using
> System->Administration->Software Update (packagekit?) without being
> prompted for the root password.
>
> I recall there being some selinux command that could be used for this?
> I believe similar capability exists for changing runlevels as well,
> but haven't had any luck finding the info again...

Not SELinux, but policy kit. There used to be an easy to use gui to
create custom policies, but that is no more available. You need to
muck around with policy files by hand to achieve that these days. At
least that is my understanding.

But I still don't understand why on your system a regular user needs
the root password to shutdown the system from the gui. I can do it by
clicking the logout button for my desktop and selecting shutdown when
I am offered an option.

--
Suvayu