Re: System policy to shutdown as normal user?

Hi,

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 2:59 AM, suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 8:44 PM, Alex <mysqlstudent@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> How can I change the system policy to authorize a normal user to
>> shutdown the system without having to prompt for a password?
>
> Can't you already do that from the logout applet of your desktop? If
> you mean letting a user shutdown from the terminal, then it is meant
> to be that way. AFAIU, effectively calling shutdown is calling init
> with appropriate arguments. If you want only specific users to be able
> to shutdown, you can try giving them sudo access to shutdown only.

No, what I was referring to was similar to providing the ability for
normal users to apply package updates using
System->Administration->Software Update (packagekit?) without being
prompted for the root password.

I recall there being some selinux command that could be used for this?
I believe similar capability exists for changing runlevels as well,
but haven't had any luck finding the info again...

Thanks,
Alex