Re: Any arguments for keeping Yum case-sensitive?

On 03/11/2011 07:28 AM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Please point to any RPM package that uses non-ASCII characters in the
> package name, from any repo.
You hardly will find any, because probably all rpm-based distros apply
rules similar to that of Fedora (e.g. SUSE does as well) and because
people trying to implement them will be facing technically difficulties
at various places.

Anyway, what you will find is tarball-names containing non-ASCII
characters, which would require transliteration to make these tarballs'
names to fit into Fedora's package-naming rules.

We've repeatedly had this case in Fedora. One case, I (vaguely) remember
was a font-package submission, which applied French accented characters
in its tarball name.
  It back then had triggered a discussion similar to this, because the
package submitter  had refused to transliterate the package name into ASCII.

Ralf