Re: F14 New Installation: Unknown Monitor

On 02/04/2011 11:26 PM, Burkhard Plache wrote:
> Hi Kevin,
>
> the xorg.conf file from my last email causes the boot sequence to hang
> after starting atd, probably while starting X. I resorted to my install cd
> and rescue mode to rename that xorg.conf file to get back to my previous
> state.

Our mails have just crossed.  B^)  I tried to explain why you might need
a range of values for Hsynv and Vrefresh....

> - Side question: There must be a way to boot into text mode (other runlevel).
> How can I achieve that? -

Yes, there is.  At the Grub screen (before it times out and autoboots),
select the kernel you want to boot from the list, and hit the "e" key to
edit the configuration.  From the list of directives, find the kernel
line with the arrow keys, and select "e" again to edit that line.  Go to
the end, and add a " 3" (thats a space and a 3) to the end of the line.
 I think you might have to hit the enter key when you are done editing,
then select "b" to boot the changed entry.  When it does, you should
boot into text mode.  You should then be able to login through the
command line prompt and edit what you need to.

(These command line prompts are usually available in 6 virtual consoles,
even when you boot graphically.  You can find them via Alt-Ctrl-Fn where
Fn is one of the function keys.  From the Text modes, Alt-Fn is usually
sufficient, but you need the extra Ctrl key from the graphic session.)

> Will wait for your comments re my xorg.conf attempt.
> Burkhard

I hope this helps.

--
Kevin J. Cummings