Re: F14 New Installation: Unknown Monitor

On 02/04/2011 10:47 PM, Burkhard Plache wrote:
> Hi Kevin,
> learning a bit more than I bargained for when I thought
> all I had ahead of me was a simple upgrade ;)

B^)

>>> Section "Monitor"
>>>       Identifier   "Monitor0"
>>>       VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
>>>       ModelName    "LCD Panel 1280x800"
>>>       HorizSync    31.5 - 90.0
>>>       VertRefresh  60.0 - 60.0
>>>       Option      "dpms"
>>> EndSection
>>
>> That section above is from my laptop, change the values to match your
>> monitor.  If you specify the correct HorizSync and VertRefresh for your
>> monitor, maybe the SIS driver won't through away the modes you are
>> looking for....
>
> I found a spec sheet for the monitor:
> http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/benq-fp757-v2-lcd/1707-3174_7-31289379.html
                                            ^^
Did you find this page:

> ftp://downloads.benq.net/monitor/lcd/datasheets/fp757-v2_specs.pdf
                                                  ^^
It shows all the actual specs for your monitor....

> Will try the following tomorrow:
>
> Section "Monitor"
>         Identifier   "Monitor0"
>         VendorName   "BenQ FS757"
                             ^^
Was that a typo?  I know its just a text field.  FS = Flat Screen?
FP = Flat Panel?

>         ModelName    "LCD Panel 1280x1024"
>         HorizSync    83
>         VertRefresh  76
>         Option      "DPMS"
> EndSection

Er, uh, I believe that you will be better of specifying ranges for the H
and V fields, not single numbers.  The more possible values available
there, the more modes will be available to you....

HorizSync	30 - 83
VertRefresh	50 - 76

(from the BenQ spec sheet)

> Section "Screen"
>         Identifier "Screen0"
>         Device     "Card0"
>         Monitor    "Monitor0"
>         DefaultDepth 24
>         SubSection "Display"
>                 Viewport 0 0
>                 Depth    24
>                 Modes    "1280x1024"
>         EndSubSection
> EndSection

Then again, maybe you only need to specify numbers that will get you
that magic 1280x1024 mode working....

I would think that if you leave out the "Screen" section, you will gain
all the modes possible based on the H & V calculations, and you can at
least select 1280x1024 from the list if it isn't the default mode....
Then again, I too have trouble pairing my xorg.confs of extraneous
information just because I've been adding modes to them for years just
so see how many I can get to work on my monitors.  That may have
something to do with my blowing so many CRTs back in the day by
overdriving them a little just to get some extra resolution on them that
they really couldn't handle.   B^)

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxxxxxx