Re: Partitioning questions

Hi,

>> > Doesn't RAID get wrapped in LVM, much like disk partitions get wrapped in
>> > RAID?
>> >
>> > If that is not the case, would you detail the steps I should follow in
>> > anaconda (FC14, x86_64) to create a root (RAID5), /boot (RAID1), and
>> > /home (RAID5) partitions on four disks with LVM?
>
> (1) Create a bank of RAID partitions on your disks.
> (2) Create the RAID device from the partitions.
> (3) Create the LVM physical volume on the RAID device.
> (4) Create the LVM volume group on the physical volume.
> (5) Create the various logical volumes in the volume group.

This doesn't seem to work for me. After creating the RAID devices,
attempting to create any LVM partitions of any size results in
"insufficient space". What am I doing wrong? How can I create an LVM
partition on top of a RAID partition?

Given that the RAID partitions constrain the size of the partitions
anyway, , perhaps it's not even helpful to have LVM for the purposes
of resizing anyway?

Maybe my approach should instead to be to create a basic /boot RAID1
partition, then RAID5 the entire rest of the disk as one big
partition?

This reference seems to indicate the steps provided above are indeed
correct, and perhaps this is a limitation of the installer?

http://www.gagme.com/greg/linux/raid-lvm.php

I can't believe it would be so difficult to create RAID partitions and
use them with LVM. Maybe they are reserving this capability for RHEL?

Thanks for any ideas.
Best regards,
Alex