Re: Partitioning questions

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 8:35 PM, Alex <mysqlstudent@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> IIRC, the original question had to do with a new install of F14, in
>>> which case Anaconda is probably the tool the OP is expecting to use.  I
>>
>> Yes, absolutely - there are also other benefits to sticking with what anaconda
>> can directly configure, e.g. the ability to script the entire setup via
>> kickstart (OK you could do some fancy %pre scripting but the raid directive is
>> generally easier to use).
>
> Another benefit to sticking with anaconda would be upgrades -- how
> would anaconda handle a disk layout that it couldn't parse because
> unsupported partitioning/formatting was performed?
>
> Okay, I played around with the system a bit, and still can't get LVM
> on top of RAID. I first created the RAID devices, then tried to layer
> LVM on top of them, but it says that there's no free space. I also
> tried the other way around (leaving the default LVM layout created by
> anaconda) and creating RAID devices, but this also results in "no free
> space" messages.
>
> Doesn't RAID get wrapped in LVM, much like disk partitions get wrapped in RAID?
>
> If that is not the case, would you detail the steps I should follow in
> anaconda (FC14, x86_64) to create a root (RAID5), /boot (RAID1), and
> /home (RAID5) partitions on four disks with LVM?

kickstart can definitely set up lvm over raid.

I've tried with anaconda. I can create two raid partitions and a raid
device but when I then choose lvm, I can't choose the raid device,
only the two partitions...

The only way seems to be what someone else suggested earlier. Switch
to another vt and set it all up "manually".