Re: Partitioning questions

On 01/05/2011 02:58 PM, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>> I've seldom actually used this in practice as it's typically more fiddly than
>> the non-partitioned equivalent but there are situations where it can be useful
>> (generally when I need to simulate some external storage that "must" be
>> partitioned using Linux MD devices).
>>
>> Regards,
>> Bryn.
>
> Thanks for the education!

Np, just posted for completeness really :-)

> IIRC, the original question had to do with a new install of F14, in
> which case Anaconda is probably the tool the OP is expecting to use.  I

Yes, absolutely - there are also other benefits to sticking with what anaconda
can directly configure, e.g. the ability to script the entire setup via
kickstart (OK you could do some fancy %pre scripting but the raid directive is
generally easier to use).

> I also agree that it's unnecessarily fiddly if you don't know that you
> need to handle it that way.  I prefer to work with the tools provided
> when I can, rather than fight them.

Agreed. It's one of those things that I'd come across that has been useful on
rare occasions but that a lot of users don't even realise is possible since it's
not supported by the more familiar tools.

Regards,
Bryn.