Re: Partitioning questions

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 5:54 PM, Alex <mysqlstudent@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> As for LVM it sits on top of all the physical volumes(that the kernel
>> sees, /dev/sdX or in short the whatever you can list with fdisk -l).
>> So the decision to use LVM is solely dependent on how flexible you
>> want your disk partitioning setup to be.
>
> This would be to have the ability to resize partitions more easily,
> correct? Is there really any benefit to doing this on a system with a
> fixed number of disks?

Well it all depends on how you intend to use your workstation. For
example if your work involves using multiple distros or OSs then
partitioning flexibility provided by LVM might be very beneficial. Or
maybe if you use lots of virtual machines, then again a flexible disk
management scheme might be helpful.

On the other hand if your use case is more like, install once and work
on one stable platform then you might find the flexibility features
provided by LVM redundant. It is entirely dependent upon how you are
going to use your workstation. It would be unwise to recommend
anything without knowing the details of how you intend to work.

However if you ask my personal opinion in a general scenario, I find
having LVM on drives with lots of data more sensible. You never know
when you might need to alter your partitioning scheme. Without LVM
those situations might be difficult to deal with. In any case I don't
see any performance issues because of LVM. But then, I'm not a power
user either. ;)

GL

--
Suvayu