Re: Partitioning questions

On Mon, 2011-01-03 at 13:34 -0500, Alex wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to install FC14 x86_64 on a quad-core AMD box with 4 1TB
> SATA disks, and have some questions about partitioning.
>
> I'd like to create a RAID5 array with no spares, using all four disks.
> There isn't room in the chassis for more disks, and they will never be
> replaced with larger ones. Should I even worry about LVM?
>
> If so, do I manually create the RAID5 partitions (and devices) that I
> want to use, then wrap them in LVM?
>
> By default, the installer creates LVM partitions, but it seems they
> must be deleted to create the RAID partitions, correct?
>
> The installer is very non-intuitive (and more difficult than it needs
> to be) if you want to just create RAID partitions and not LVM.

Alex,

If you're looking for a way to have a 3TB RAID5 PV array at power on, I
think the only way to do it is with a hardware RAID controller, such as
an Adaptec 2420SA card
(http://www.adaptec.com/en-us/products/controllers/hardware/sata/value/aar-2420sa/)

The particular card you choose will depend upon your available bus
slots. Be advised that some users have reported truly awful performance
from individual brands and models (i.e. Highpoint RAIDRocket). You
should have no trouble with any Adaptec card.

Hardware RAID is extremely simple to set up and will present one
physical volume as /dev/sda. Initialization of a RAID5 array composed of
1TB drives might take a l-o-n-g time (many hours). Thereafter, it will
be very fast and should be very reliable if you use quality SATA drives.

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL