Re: Wine, pulseaudio, Starcraft problems

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 2:15 PM, stan <gryt2@xxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 11:54:59 -0600
> Reid Rivenburgh <reidr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I don't know about wine and PA, but if wine doesn't support PA, then
> you were probably using the default routing through alsa, in which
> pulse imitates alsa (I think).  As far as config of wine goes, your
> ideas are probably the right direction.
>
> Even if the wine-pulseaudio package means that wine is actually using
> PA, it's possible that the complexity is causing problems that alsa
> might not have.  Did you try stopping and restarting pulse?  From
> memory, I think that would be
> pulseaudio --kill
> pulseaudio --start

I believe the alsa-plugin-pulseaudio or whatever the name is forces
applications that think they are talking directly to ALSA to use pulse
audio. The most elegant solution might be to use pactl to suspend
pulseaudio while you're running WINE and then re-enable it once your
done, however it's a CLI application and is not very intuitive. I know
MythTV has a way of suspending PA while it's running but now that I
look at the man page for pactl it only has commands for suspending a
sink or source, not the whole daemon...

Richard