Re: Wine, pulseaudio, Starcraft problems

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 11:44 AM, James Mckenzie
<jjmckenzie51@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Reid Rivenburgh <reidr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>On the off chance someone has been down this path....  I'm currently
>>running an up-to-date F13 with wine installed.  I run KDE if it
>>matters.  I was able to install and start Starcraft 2 using wine.
>>Initially, it actually ran quite well on my 2.5-year old system.  The
>>only glitch seemed to be that the audio would cut out if the system
>>got too bogged down.  (I would also get errors in /var/log/messages
>>about pulseaudio's ratelimit kicking in.)
>
> This is your problem.  Kill pulseaudio and switch to Alsa when running this game.  Wine does not and WILL not support pulseaudio.

Well, I was hopeful that it would work okay, given the existence of
the wine-pulseaudio package....  I use pulse by default for everything
else, but I'm fine with using alsa instead for the game.  Do you have
any pointers about doing that?  It seems like if I kill pulseaudio, it
starts right up again.  I'm also not sure how to use alsa, aside from
installing the wine-alsa package (and uninstalling wine-pulseaudio)
and I suppose choosing it in the winecfg app.  Maybe that's all there
is to it?  It's been a long time since I've had to worry about any of
these audio system issues, which has been a good thing!  Thanks for
the info.

Reid