Re: Wine, pulseaudio, Starcraft problems

On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 11:54:59 -0600
Reid Rivenburgh <reidr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Well, I was hopeful that it would work okay, given the existence of
> the wine-pulseaudio package....  I use pulse by default for everything
> else, but I'm fine with using alsa instead for the game.  Do you have
> any pointers about doing that?  It seems like if I kill pulseaudio, it
> starts right up again.  I'm also not sure how to use alsa, aside from
> installing the wine-alsa package (and uninstalling wine-pulseaudio)
> and I suppose choosing it in the winecfg app.  Maybe that's all there
> is to it?  It's been a long time since I've had to worry about any of
> these audio system issues, which has been a good thing!  Thanks for
> the info.

If you install the package pavucontrol you can turn devices off and on
through the GUI for pulseaudio.

I don't know about wine and PA, but if wine doesn't support PA, then
you were probably using the default routing through alsa, in which
pulse imitates alsa (I think).  As far as config of wine goes, your
ideas are probably the right direction.

Even if the wine-pulseaudio package means that wine is actually using
PA, it's possible that the complexity is causing problems that alsa
might not have.  Did you try stopping and restarting pulse?  From
memory, I think that would be
pulseaudio --kill
pulseaudio --start

You might try a search to see if someone else has had this problem
with wine and solved it.