Re: best FTP server for web server

On Wed October 6 2010, Rick Stevens wrote:
> > so, is it better to ftp over SSL or sftp using ssh?
>
> As others have said, chrooting FTPS is easier than chrooting ssh and its
> kin.  sftp also infers ssh must be available as well.  I don't know if
> that's true or not.  If it is and someone guesses your password, then
> they get a shell via ssh.  Depends on how paranoid you are.

I'm... a small home user, and not at all familiar with chrooting, should I be
using it too? as for the guessing my password, that is a good point. Though I
do not do that as root, still, that would allow access to my system.

> FTPS has the ability to use three different encryption things: no
> encryption, encryption of just the control channel or encryption of
> both control and data connections.  vsftpd allows you to run both
> regular FTP and FTPS using the same daemon and there's no possibilty
> of an outsider getting a shell.
vsftpd, I'll have to check that out. thanks for the tips & info, always good
to learn new useful apps..

> It's up to you.  We use sftp for most things here, but I've had a lot
> of clients in the past want FTP/FTPS.  As for the paranoia thing:
>
> "Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they AREN'T out to get me!"

that's exactly how I think when I'm out on my motorcycle:)

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800