Re: best FTP server for web server

On 10/06/2010 10:35 AM, Maxime Alarie wrote:
> [...]

"I never make mistakes.  I thought I did once, but I was wrong."  :-)

> so, is it better to ftp over SSL or sftp using ssh?

As others have said, chrooting FTPS is easier than chrooting ssh and its
kin.  sftp also infers ssh must be available as well.  I don't know if
that's true or not.  If it is and someone guesses your password, then
they get a shell via ssh.  Depends on how paranoid you are.

FTPS has the ability to use three different encryption things: no
encryption, encryption of just the control channel or encryption of
both control and data connections.  vsftpd allows you to run both
regular FTP and FTPS using the same daemon and there's no possibilty
of an outsider getting a shell.

It's up to you.  We use sftp for most things here, but I've had a lot
of clients in the past want FTP/FTPS.  As for the paranoia thing:

"Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they AREN'T out to get me!"