Re: Liberation or Corefonts?

Alex wrote:

> I'm trying to find some better fonts for my monitor/video
> card combination.

I find that Liberation and Dejavu are the best fonts to use. They have a wide
utf-8 spectrum. I no longer install any non-free all-purpose fonts, unless I
want decorative fonts.

Personally, I prefer Dejavu for my desktop and applications, as it is wider
than Liberation, hence is very legible. Liberation, on the other hand, was
designed, as I understand it, to be a replacement for Microsoft fonts used on
the web. I find that using Dejavu in a web browser causes some text fields to
be too large for the allotted space, etc., while Liberation fits perfectly.
It is, however, narrower and less legible and less comfortable for the eyes.

In KDE, you can install freetype-freeworld from rpmfusion. Then, set the
fonts to use anti-aliasing with full sub-pixel hinting. This works very well
here and my fedora desktop has looked better than Windows XP for years and
years. Windows looks blurry with their clear-type of whatever it is called,
while fedora is sharp and crisp. You should also set up Gnome, but installing
and setting up kcm-gtk should be sufficient (will show up in systemsettings
under application appearance as gtk appearance), if you don't use gnome.

In firefox, you can uncheck allow pages to choose their own fonts, which
forces use of your chosen font, likely Liberation.