Re: pcmcia SATA adapters

On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 15:56:21 -0700
JD <jd1008@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>   I have been googling for pcmcia SATA adapters
> that interact with BIOS to announce the drives
> connected to them to BIOS.
> If anyone recalls, many PCI SCSI and IDE adapters
> could do that.
> I have not found any such pcmcia adapter.
> Would greatly appreciate any tips for finding one.
>
> Reason: Because my bios does not know of the drives attached
> to the pcmcia SATA ports, I cannot boot from these drives.
> Have tried many tricks suggested by others, to no avail.

The PCMCIA (or rather Cardbus) slots depend on BIOS magic to do this. The
IBM PC110 would do it by remapping a pcmcia IDE controller in the bios at
the ISA legacy addresses, and some Sony laptops did similar things with
the cardbus CD-ROM. It's not something you can do with just a card so you
would need something booting off a BIOS known device.

Alan