Re: Installing DD-WRT -

On Sat, 2010-08-21 at 10:25 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> Dhcp just makes it easier when I am dealing with Apple Mac and
> Windows devices where I am always muddling through an unfamiliar
> setup procedure. Fedora Linux makes it so simple I am spoiled ...

Well, if you'd like to avoid configuring networks, to exchange it for
debugging nightmare, you could let devices self-assign themselves an IP.
You have no DHCP server, devices randomly choose their own unique IP
within the 169.254.x.y range.  This is known as Zero Conf, or Bonjour,
or Link Local.  All your OSs can do this, and at least the Mac and
Windows will eventually default to this if nothing else assigns them an
IP.

All devices within the same IP range on the LAN can talk to each other.
But you mayn't be able to connect to something outside of your LAN,
unless your gateway supports link local on its LAN side.

The other problem is determining when you have networking errors.
Machines will assign themselves an IP whether, or not, they're connected
to the LAN.  Ordinarily, you'd be used to a machine's interface not
having an IP when there was a networking error, and that'd help point to
what you had to fix.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686