Re: Installing DD-WRT -

On Thu August 19 2010, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>   On 18/08/10 22:44, Darr wrote:
> > On Wednesday, 18 August, 2010 @12:46 zulu, Bob Goodwin scribed:
> >>         I found a place under "Services" where I can start listing
> >>         the assignments I want but it wont let me save or apply
> >>         them.
> >
> > That's the right place.  But on the Setup Basic page you should
> > set the DHCP scope to exclude the addresses you're using there.
> >
> > Click 'Add' and enter the info in all the fields correctly, else
> > when you save/apply, it blanks them all out again (just the
> > one you're working on; previous saves should not go blank
> > from messing up a new one).
> >
> > Enter the MACs in the form 01:23:45:ab:cd:ef (i.e.
> > not 012345abcdef, nor 01-23-45-ab-cd-ef, nor even cisco's
> > 0123.45ab.cdef format). I use the NetBIOS name in the
> > Host name field.   If they're members of a domain, you
> > should use the DHCP server of the domain controller, as
> > DD-WRT's DHCP server is lacking a few features (e.g. no
> > matter what IP is set for the "Gateway" in "Network Setup"
> > the DHCP server instead assigns the "Local IP Address" as
> > the Gateway when responding to BOOTP requests... it's
> > also slooooow to respond).
> >
> > I use 10080 minutes for the Lease Time (1440 minutes is
> > 1 day, of course). You're supposed to be able to leave that
> > one blank (I think it defaults to 4 days if blank), but I fill it
> > in anyway.
> >
> > You cannot assign the same IP to multiple MACs (even
> > if they're the wired and wireless interfaces on the same
> > machine and are configured so only one can be active at
> > a time). For the laptop I usually use on a dock, I have 3
> > IPs reserved (for wireless, NIC, and the dock's NIC).
> >
> > Once you get the format right so it saves OK, you can click
> > 'Add' enough times to open the number of IP's you want
> > to reserve and do them all at once, then click Save... but
> > that's not much faster than saving them one-at-a-time.
> >
> > Once they're all saved, click Apply Settings. When it comes
> > back, click Reboot Router, then the Static Leases should work.
>
>     This has me really frustrated! Perhaps I don't have the right
>     incantation but I'm unable to enter more than seven dhcp address
>     assignments and keep them. I have a total of 17 that I need.
>
>     I've entered all 17 of them and I can go through data entry box by
>     box and do a little double click routine and each one fills in so it
>     remembers what I've done, even through a power down! But those in
>     excess of the first 7 are lost from the list of DHCP clients under
>     the wireless system information tab!
>
>     I fill in a few lines, click "save" then click "apply" and then go
>     on and do some more up to the 16th line. They are not really applied
>     it seems since they don' t appear in the dhcp client list? If I
>     enter the 17th line and "save" they are immediately stripped out
>     back to the first seven?
>
>     I'm working from Firefox and did the "Tools > Start Private
>     Browsing" thing if that matters but saw no change.
>
>     Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Not really... however, it may be that the developers of DD-WRT never
dreamed anyone would want more than a handful of DHCP assignments, so the
functionality just isn't there. You might try hacking the code to create
your own version of DD-WRT and submitting it back to them, or find something
else, like your Fedora box, to do your DHCP assignments (just to help bring
this thread back on-topic. <Grin>)
Seriously, I think asking a little SOHO router to handle static DHCP
assignments for 15 or 20 devices is a bit much, then again, I've never
tried this, so I don't know. I only have two PCs that I care about having
static assignments... my linux box and my wife's PC. Hell, her PC could
have a random IP for all it matters... :-)
Point is, you may be trying to use a hammer to put a screw into a wall. It
might do the job, but it's not really the right tool. In this case, you
might want to look at finding something else to handle your DHCP
assignments.