Re: Installing DD-WRT -

  On 20/08/10 15:39, Darr wrote:
> I have only a couple machines on my LAN that I really
> need/want to have the same addresses every time... a print
> server and a computer I want to be accessible via dyndns.org
> (requires the same address every time so the port forwarding
> in the router points to the correct machine)... so I never
> really ran into that limit before in DD-WRT.
>
> And not to hijack this thread, but it wouldn't be that hard
> to setup a DHCP server on fedora instead, would it? (I don't
> want full setup instructions... it must have a wiki somewhere.)
>
> And that should handle MAC-reserved IPs, too, right?
>
> I would likely be happier with that, ultimately, since
> if I want to run a transparent proxy I could set the
> Gateway address to the proxy server, but DD-WRT's
> DHCP always sets the Gateway to its own LAN IP
> when it hands out addresses.
>
> Thought about changing the Subject, but don't want it
> to bypass anyone's filter.  ;-)

    With my equipment layout that would require installing another
    computer downstairs at the "modem" and wireless router location.
    Presently there's only an Apple Mac Pro something, my daughter's
    desktop there. If I'm really limited in the number of dhcp addresses
    I guess I will have to begin assigning fixed addresses to things
    like tv cameras and printers, laptops, iPods, etc. This family can't
    seem to function without a connection to our LAN. Getting some of
    those devices to work with dhcp was a chore [I rarely deal with
    Windows and the Apple stuff is strange to me too], fixed addresses
    will be more difficult. I believe the router on order also runs
    DD-WRT and I hope to replace this older Netgear WGR614 with it.

    I have often regretted the decision to install the "modem" there
    rather than up here in my room, it was simply an easier cable run
    using existing holes in the house. Now when I have router problems I
    have to string a fifty foot cat-5 cable through the place or keep
    running back and forth making adjustments.

    Tomorrow I will start assigning fixed addresses to the items that I
    can get to easily. Hopefully the new Ubiquiti router will allow more
    dhcp client addresses than this router I have been experimenting with.

    Bob