Re: Installing DD-WRT -

On Wednesday, 18 August, 2010 @12:46 zulu, Bob Goodwin scribed:
>        I found a place under "Services" where I can start listing the
>        assignments I want but it wont let me save or apply them.

That's the right place.  But on the Setup Basic page you should
set the DHCP scope to exclude the addresses you're using there.

Click 'Add' and enter the info in all the fields correctly, else
when you save/apply, it blanks them all out again (just the
one you're working on; previous saves should not go blank
from messing up a new one).

Enter the MACs in the form 01:23:45:ab:cd:ef (i.e.
not 012345abcdef, nor 01-23-45-ab-cd-ef, nor even cisco's
0123.45ab.cdef format). I use the NetBIOS name in the
Host name field.   If they're members of a domain, you
should use the DHCP server of the domain controller, as
DD-WRT's DHCP server is lacking a few features (e.g. no
matter what IP is set for the "Gateway" in "Network Setup"
the DHCP server instead assigns the "Local IP Address" as
the Gateway when responding to BOOTP requests... it's
also slooooow to respond).

I use 10080 minutes for the Lease Time (1440 minutes is
1 day, of course). You're supposed to be able to leave that
one blank (I think it defaults to 4 days if blank), but I fill it
in anyway.

You cannot assign the same IP to multiple MACs (even
if they're the wired and wireless interfaces on the same
machine and are configured so only one can be active at
a time). For the laptop I usually use on a dock, I have 3
IPs reserved (for wireless, NIC, and the dock's NIC).

Once you get the format right so it saves OK, you can click
'Add' enough times to open the number of IP's you want
to reserve and do them all at once, then click Save... but
that's not much faster than saving them one-at-a-time.

Once they're all saved, click Apply Settings. When it comes
back, click Reboot Router, then the Static Leases should work.