Re: Still no kmod for new nvidia

On Fri, 2010-07-30 at 06:28 -0400, David wrote:
> If you buy an Nvidia video card and install it into a box that is
> running a Windows OS and then boot it it works. You insert the CD that
> came with the card and install the 'better' driver and reboot it
> works.

If you're lucky...  I've seen plenty of Windows users who've had some
peripheral, usually sound or graphics cards, that's always been a right
bitch.

Brand new fresh Windows install, using the drivers that came with
Windows.  Then trying installing the drivers that came with the
hardware, onto that fresh Windows install.  Then, getting the latest
drivers from the manufacturer's website, and still having problems.

And, then you get desperate and try the not-quite-the-latest drivers
from their website, dumb tweaks you read about on websites, and after a
year or so of putting up with bad behaviour from the card, you buy a
replacement.  Rinse, lather, repeat.

I can't think of a brand of peripheral where I haven't seen that sort of
thing at some time.  e.g. NVidia, ATI... and with Creative being the
most common pain in the bum.  Odd that, that one of the most common
sound cards of the lot, Soundblaster, used to be the biggest pain in the
neck of any sound card to get going, for many years.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.