Re: How can I make local dnsmasq play nicely with NetworkManager?

On Fri, 2010-07-30 at 06:23 -0500, Robert Nichols wrote:
> Word from the developers is that one of the goals for NetworkManager
> 0.8.2 is support for a local caching resolver.  That should eliminate
> the need for my workaround.

I hope they do mean merely adding support for it, rather than building
more into it.

Though I have to say that I have no problems with NetworkManager and
using a local name server.  Of course my DHCP server, properly, doles
out the DNS address that the client should use.

The various messages I've read on this list seem to deal with people
half using DHCP, wanting to override some of the settings.  i.e. Not use
the DNS server address, and/or other details, supplied from the DHCP
server.

There's two approaches to resolving that:  Have their DHCP server
provide the wanted addresses, properly.  Or have their DHCP client
overrides configured, properly.

The first one's what I do.  The second one always used to be possible,
before NetworkManager got thrown into the mix.  But is it, now, a case
of NetworkManager getting in the way of your DHCP client configuration,
or is something else, now, acting as the DHCP client?

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.