Re: Still no kmod for new nvidia

On 7/30/2010 5:46 AM, Steve Searle wrote:
> Around 02:44am on Friday, July 30, 2010 (UK time), David scrawled:
>
>> On 7/29/2010 5:00 PM, Steve Searle wrote:
>>> Around 09:54pm on Thursday, July 29, 2010 (UK time), James Mckenzie scrawled:

>>> I've seen Windows users struggle with drivers that won't work with their
>>> hardware plenty of times - and have even helped them out. But there are
>>> plenty of Windows users who are not able to get all their hardware
>>> working properly when they upgrade their OS. Yet (presumably) MS Windows
>>> is considered an "on the Desktop" system, whatever that means.
>>

>> Microsoft does not supply drivers for hardware. The hardware makers
>> supply the drivers. Microsoft does supply some simple drivers with the
>> OS, as does Fedora, but those are also supplied by the hardware makers.
>
> Who supplies them is not the point here. "Driver hell" happens on
> Windows as well, yet that is considered a desktop system.

Windows "Driver hell"?

The basic hardware drivers usually come with Windows. Fedora provides
basic, some quite advanced actually, hardware drivers for many pieces of
hardware.

The 'better' Windows hardware drivers come with the hardware on CDs. The
Linux hardware drivers usually do not. Usually because there are none.

Newer hardware drivers for Windows can be downloaded from the hardware
manufacturer. Again there seldom are Linux drivers provided by the
hardware manufacturers.

This thread is about Nvidia drivers for Linux.

If you buy an Nvidia video card and install it into a box that is
running a Windows OS and then boot it it works. You insert the CD that
came with the card and install the 'better' driver and reboot it works.
If you go to the Nvidia site and identify your card you can download the
latest drivers and install them.

To do this for Fedora, Linux in general, requires *you* to actually do
some of the work by compiling the drivers from the code provided by
Nvidia. Why do *you* have to do the work. Becasue Fedora can not legally
do it for you. The how come RPMfusion can provide them? Ask them.

Again - Windows "Driver hell"? I don't know of any. Examples please.

--

  David