Re: Non-graphical Boot and Terminal Font

On 7/22/2010 9:19 AM, Tom Horsley wrote:

> With the new kernel video mode setting, the fonts in console
> mode come from the console fonts in /lib/kbd/consolefonts/.
>
> The one it uses is determined by the font named in the
> file /etc/sysconfig/i18n and (for me) usually seems to be
> the silly name "latarcyrheb-sun16".

(snip)
> Install that in the consolefonts directory, point the
> i18n file at it, and Bob's yer uncle.
>
> (See how simple that was :-).

Maybe I was naive to think it's as simple as I did!

Thing is, I have my laptop here, it's running F8.  That also has
/etc/sysconfig/i18n pointing to latarcyrheb-sun16.  But in console mode
boot it stays in 80 columns right through to the shell prompt.  It also
has an option to "display details" in graphical boot wherein you can see
the startup messages in a graphical window.  The only difference may be,
as you said, a new kernel video mode setting in F13.

I wasn't prepared to build myself a new console font.  However, I was
prepared to change to whatever they used in F8, had it been something
different.

@Kwan Lowe: Thanks, as I said, passing a "vga" option through grub does
not help.

Any other ideas?  Maybe I should parse inittab more closely in the two
builds.