Re: Non-graphical Boot and Terminal Font

On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 09:11:19 -0400
David Liguori wrote:

> Any other ideas?  Maybe I should parse inittab more closely in the two
> builds.

All the former console mode stuff is completely gone. All the kernel
options about vga=<whatever> are meaningless. Everything has been
consumed by the quest for kernel video mode setting which basically
happens as soon as linux gets control.

You can get back the old console mode by adding the "nomodeset"
kernel option, but all the X drivers are being developed assuming
you won't do that, and some of them won't work at all if you
have turned on the nomodeset option.

There is rumored to be some kind of new kernel boot option you
can use to override the EDID info it normally gets from the
monitor, but I have no idea how it works or what you tell it.
(Or if it even exists as anything other than a rumor :-).