Re: Non-graphical Boot and Terminal Font

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 08:37:04 -0400
David Liguori wrote:

> My searches on this topic have been surprisingly unproductive.

Mine too, but I eventually found something that helps (though it
isn't setting things back to 80 columns).

With the new kernel video mode setting, the fonts in console
mode come from the console fonts in /lib/kbd/consolefonts/.

The one it uses is determined by the font named in the
file /etc/sysconfig/i18n and (for me) usually seems to be
the silly name "latarcyrheb-sun16".

So what I wanted was a font twice as big as latarcyrheb-sun16,
but with the same characterset. A google search eventually led
me to "psftools" which I downloaded, built, and used to
scale the 16 bit font by a factor of 2, producing a 32
bit font, which I can actually read (a tad blocky, but
better than invisible).

Install that in the consolefonts directory, point the
i18n file at it, and Bob's yer uncle.

(See how simple that was :-).