Re: Bug in mailing lists; unfriendly to non-subscribers

On Mon, 2010-07-05 at 20:13 +0300, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> Fact: the current system doesn't allow cross-posting

Nothing in the current system prevents cross-posting. It's explicitly
discouraged by the list Guidelines, but as we know some people do it
(and usually get jumped on). The rationale is that you should decide
where best to send your query and send it only to that list.
Cross-posting makes it all but impossible to keep threads coherent when
multiple replies appear from different lists, and not everyone is seeing
the same conversation.

If the query doesn't get a satisfactory answer, by all means make
another query on a different list (often people will tell you which list
is more appropriate). I've done this several times and don't see the
problem.

poc