Re: Flash videos not playing in Fedora 11 firefox browser

--- On Wed, 6/30/10, ranjan sundar <njan79@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I tried to download flashplayer for linux from adobe website and
> downloaded this zip file. i extracted it and found that it contained
> only 1 file with .so extension (shared object).
>
> [snip]

My guess--and it's only a guess--is that you downloaded the Windows version of the flash plugin.  Zip is usually used by Windows.  Linux uses .rpm, .tar.gz, and a few others, but rarely just plain ol' .zip.

Go here to download the latest version.  The page should recognize that you're running Linux.  If not, click "Choose another operating system...."

   http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?promoid=BUIGP

This is the 32-bit version.  There is no 64-bit version anymore.  So, if your Fedora 11 is 64-bit, you'll have to wrap the 32-bit version with  nspluginwrapper.  Or install a 32-bit browser.  Or find someone who still has the old 64-bit one (10.0.45 Alpha was the last, IIRC), but it has a major security hole.  However, I've been using it since its release back in February of this year on my 64-bit F12, and have had no incidents of viruses or trojans, etc.