Re: F-13 printing problems -

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 11:20:07AM -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> On 30/06/10 10:25, Tim Waugh wrote:
> > On Wed, 2010-06-30 at 09:01 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> >
> >> I have gone through the troubleshooting process that pops up
> >> numerous times over the last couple of days to no avail.
> >>
> > Did you manage to get a test page printed?
> >

> >> I think that in this case it might be simpler to wipe out
> >> everything to do with printing and start over configuring with cups?
> >>
> > There are some suggestions for things to try in order to find the
> > problem on this page:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Printing/Debugging#Finding_where_the_problem_lies
> >

> Ok, it looks like changing the printer driver for the Brother HL-2170W
> may have helped? The original driver selected by whatever means was
> pxemono, I changed it arbitrarily to foomatic/hpijs. That seems to make
> the printer work although it still takes ~24 seconds to load data into
> the printer. That may have something to do with NetworkManager? In the
> past I have always turned that off but still have it running on this new
> install.
>
> The HL-2170 now works about the same as the HL-5149. The HL-5140
> probably did not have the problem I complained of.

I find that my HL2070N doesn't (always???) work with the driver that
F13 picks for it. If I tell system-config-printer it's a HL-2060 then
tell it to use foomatic/hl1250 driver I can get it to work, and it works
just fine. I don't remember it taking a looooong time to print. in fact
it's faster than some of the much more expensive HP Laserjets we have
at my office. For certain, complexity of the print job could have a big
affect on printing performance. Some kinds of output can require a LOT
of number crunching by GhostScript and subsequently by the print driver's
rasterizer, then further computation in the printer itself. however, as
I say below, my 2070N is quite fast on pretty much everything.

Not sure what NetworkManager would have to do with performance of
a printer (I"d expect it to work if the wireless devices have found
each other and not, if not, but any particular slowness shouldn't be
related to NM specifically--all it does is find access points and
connect to them).

I've never used a wireless printer, and am a little vague on how
it would in fact work... how does the printer connect to the wireless? do
you have to (somehow) enter the wlan settings into the printer to make
it work? via hard-wired network?

But however you initially set it up, the printer would be connecting to
your wirelss AP, not your fedora computer....

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -----------------------------
                        The Lord is like a strong tower.