Re: In praise of Windows

On 06/11/2010 10:58 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 06/11/2010 08:59 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>
>> Am I alone in finding the old (classic) Windows XP control panel
>> greatly superior to the KDE analogue?
>>

> IMHO, it is never a good idea to compare what one has in GNOME or KDE to
> what is provided in Windows.  It doesn't bring about the best response
> in many people.  Just saying what you don't like about a feature is
> better, IMHO.

I've found in my long career that you've achieved a certain level of
success in UI design when
  equal numbers of people love it as hate it.

User interfaces stimulate different parts of the brain in different
people, who may have very
  different working styles, and whose brains may work very differently.

It's easy to identify a UI that *truly* is bad--because nearly everyone
will hate it.  But once you've
  achieved my 50/50 rule, you've probably done the best you can do.

Not a human-factors psychologist or anything, just seen this pattern
emerge in my career.

--
Principal Investigator
Shirleys Bay Radio Astronomy Consortium