Re: In praise of Windows

On 06/11/2010 08:59 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Am I alone in finding the old (classic) Windows XP control panel
> greatly superior to the KDE analogue?

IMHO, it is never a good idea to compare what one has in GNOME or KDE to
what is provided in Windows.  It doesn't bring about the best response
in many people.  Just saying what you don't like about a feature is
better, IMHO.

And, FWIW and IMHO, making a subject with "praise" and "Windows" is only
done by most people for effect or to garner attention and takes away
from what one really wants to address.  It already places a negative
slant on things...IMHO.

But, I feel, if one has a hard time expressing what they don't like and
really need to compare they should compare current to current.  As in
the latest GNOME/KDE features with latest Windows 7 (or maybe Vista)
equivalent feature.
> I find Windows' My Computer much better
> than any Fedora counterpart, too.
>
> The network interface through the "Connect to" icon
> is also more intelligible than the NM interface, in my view.

Of course, all that you've said is you like milk chocolate instead of
semi-sweet.
> On the whole I find Fedora/KDE much pleasanter to use than Windows,
> which I suppose I use about 5% of the time.
> In particular I find if something goes wrong in Windows
> it is far more difficult to correct.
>
> But there are several features where Windows wins, as I have suggested.
> I hope the Fedora/KDE developers look carefully at Windows,
> to see what they can steal.

So, you think making GNOME/KDE look more like Windows (in some areas) is
a good idea?

FWIW, I like that I can configure the KDE System Settings to look like
the old KDE Kontrol Center.  And I prefer the Application Launcher
Classic Style over the Kickoff Style.  In both cases I find the ones I
prefer to be more concise and easier to find things than the "Icon Style".

--
The kernel license has expired 葛斯克 愛德華 / 台北市八德路四段