Re: Fedora 13 install partitioning issue

On Fri, 2010-06-11 at 13:37 +0200, David Jansen wrote:
> I ran into an issue with the installation of Fedora 13. What I was
> trying to do was this: install the new version, choose for a custom
> layout of the partitions, and then have system stuff like / and /usr
> reformatted, but leave /usr/local, /opt, /home and /data partitions
> alone to preserve own data and software not installed from rpms.
> This is how I have done system upgrades/reinstalls fro years.
>
> However, with Fedora 13, when I choose the custom install, all my
> partitions are marked as type "unknown" and all I can do is select them
> and format them, or abort the installation (which I did, of course).
> This happens to all partitions, ext3, ext4, swap, and ntfs.
>
> Is this a known issue (couldn't find anything about it), a boot option I
> have missed, or perhaps something specific to the 2 computers where I
> tried the installation ??
>
> If these partitions were on another disk, I understand I can skip the
> disk as a data storage disk which isn't used in partitioning, but
> unfortunately, it's not on a separate disk. So, what to do?
>
> David Jansen

You ar confirming my previous complaint about the partioneer that is
presented to you by the installer.I would do the following:
1,Read very carefully section 7.20 in the Installation Guide.
2.When you choose:custom layout did you also click on the review button
at the bottom of the page? If you don't you can get the screwy results
you report.

Again I reject thew contention that using the partitioner is obvious.