Re: Improving the list climate [was Re: Fwd: Fedora Weekly News 228]

On Fri, 2010-06-04 at 15:02 +0100, Michal wrote:
> > My advice is to leave well alone. What I would do however is make some
> > key aspects of the Guidelines a little more upfront when people
> > subscribe. I don't mean simply a pointer to the complete Guidelines, but
> > a *brief* list of the top points directly summarized in the confirmation
> > message.
> >
> > poc
> >

> Anyone who says "How do I install Firefox 64 Bit" Shouldn't not be
> replied to. Anyone that does I reply off-list saying search it before
> asking etc etc" but it does get tiring. On the BSD list if you ask such
> stupid questions your often given either no response or a harsh one

I knew there was a reason I don't use BSD :-) Seriously, there's no
shame in asking if you don't know, and replying off-list means that
no-one else gets to see the answer. Maybe the newbie who asked the dumb
question will start to learn and eventually answer questions himself.

What I find more annoying is questions like "why can't I watch video?"
that give no information about what kind of video, or what version of
Fedora, or what viewing app, or what happens when the video is played,
or in fact anything at all that might help someone give a useful answer.

Asking the right questions is an art, and asking questions right is
another art.

poc