Re: Seagate USB disk does not automount

On 05/28/2010 09:44 AM, Tom Diehl wrote:
> On Thu, 27 May 2010, Paolo Galtieri wrote:
>
>> On 05/27/2010 09:48 AM, Tom Diehl wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have a new seagate external USB disk that does not mount when plugged in
>>> to my F-12 machine. I can mount it by hand and access it normally.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have instructions for adding udev rules or whatever it takes
>>> to get this to automount when plugged in?
>>>
>>> dmesg shows the following:
>>> usb 1-3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 4
>>> usb 1-3: New USB device found, idVendor=0bc2, idProduct=3300
>>> usb 1-3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
>>> usb 1-3: Product: Desktop
>>> usb 1-3: Manufacturer: Seagate
>>> usb 1-3: SerialNumber: 2GHL7D7A
>>> usb 1-3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
>>> ata6: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)
>>>
>>> lsusb -v shows the following:
>>>
>>> Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bc2:3300 Seagate RSS LLC
>>> Device Descriptor:
>>>      bLength                18
>>>      bDescriptorType         1
>>>      bcdUSB               2.00
>>>      bDeviceClass            0 (Defined at Interface level)
>>>      bDeviceSubClass         0
>>>      bDeviceProtocol         0
>>>      bMaxPacketSize0        64
>>>      idVendor           0x0bc2 Seagate RSS LLC
>>>      idProduct          0x3300
>>>      bcdDevice            1.30
>>>      iManufacturer           1 Seagate
>>>      iProduct                2 Desktop
>>>      iSerial                 3 2GHL7D7A
>>>      bNumConfigurations      1
>>>      Configuration Descriptor:
>>>        bLength                 9
>>>        bDescriptorType         2
>>>        wTotalLength           32
>>>        bNumInterfaces          1
>>>        bConfigurationValue     1
>>>        iConfiguration          0
>>>        bmAttributes         0xc0
>>>          Self Powered
>>>        MaxPower                2mA
>>>        Interface Descriptor:
>>>          bLength                 9
>>>          bDescriptorType         4
>>>          bInterfaceNumber        0
>>>          bAlternateSetting       0
>>>          bNumEndpoints           2
>>>          bInterfaceClass         8 Mass Storage
>>>          bInterfaceSubClass      6 SCSI
>>>          bInterfaceProtocol     80 Bulk (Zip)
>>>          iInterface              0
>>>          Endpoint Descriptor:
>>>            bLength                 7
>>>            bDescriptorType         5
>>>            bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
>>>            bmAttributes            2
>>>              Transfer Type            Bulk
>>>              Synch Type               None
>>>              Usage Type               Data
>>>            wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
>>>            bInterval               0
>>>          Endpoint Descriptor:
>>>            bLength                 7
>>>            bDescriptorType         5
>>>            bEndpointAddress     0x02  EP 2 OUT
>>>            bmAttributes            2
>>>              Transfer Type            Bulk
>>>              Synch Type               None
>>>              Usage Type               Data
>>>            wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
> [...]

I've found various kernels have issues with USB drives.  Some automount
when booting, some don't.  For the ones that don't, a

	rmmod usb_storage;modprobe usb_storage

usually fixes it.  It doesn't seem to be a GUI thing, but more of a USB
wakeup issue with some kernels.  My tests were with WD USB drives and
drives I've bought and stuffed into an off-brand USB enclosure myself.

YMMV