Re: Seagate USB disk does not automount

On Thu, 27 May 2010, Paolo Galtieri wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> Does anyone have instructions for adding udev rules or whatever it takes
>> to get this to automount when plugged in?
>>
>> dmesg shows the following:
>> usb 1-3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 4
>> usb 1-3: New USB device found, idVendor=0bc2, idProduct=3300
>> usb 1-3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
>> usb 1-3: Product: Desktop
>> usb 1-3: Manufacturer: Seagate
>> usb 1-3: SerialNumber: 2GHL7D7A
>> usb 1-3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
>> ata6: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)
>>
>> lsusb -v shows the following:
>>
>> Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bc2:3300 Seagate RSS LLC
>> Device Descriptor:
>>     bLength                18
>>     bDescriptorType         1
>>     bcdUSB               2.00
>>     bDeviceClass            0 (Defined at Interface level)
>>     bDeviceSubClass         0
>>     bDeviceProtocol         0
>>     bMaxPacketSize0        64
>>     idVendor           0x0bc2 Seagate RSS LLC
>>     idProduct          0x3300
>>     bcdDevice            1.30
>>     iManufacturer           1 Seagate
>>     iProduct                2 Desktop
>>     iSerial                 3 2GHL7D7A
>>     bNumConfigurations      1
>>     Configuration Descriptor:
>>       bLength                 9
>>       bDescriptorType         2
>>       wTotalLength           32
>>       bNumInterfaces          1
>>       bConfigurationValue     1
>>       iConfiguration          0
>>       bmAttributes         0xc0
>>         Self Powered
>>       MaxPower                2mA
>>       Interface Descriptor:
>>         bLength                 9
>>         bDescriptorType         4
>>         bInterfaceNumber        0
>>         bAlternateSetting       0
>>         bNumEndpoints           2
>>         bInterfaceClass         8 Mass Storage
>>         bInterfaceSubClass      6 SCSI
>>         bInterfaceProtocol     80 Bulk (Zip)
>>         iInterface              0
>>         Endpoint Descriptor:
>>           bLength                 7
>>           bDescriptorType         5
>>           bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
>>           bmAttributes            2
>>             Transfer Type            Bulk
>>             Synch Type               None
>>             Usage Type               Data
>>           wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
>>           bInterval               0
>>         Endpoint Descriptor:
>>           bLength                 7
>>           bDescriptorType         5
>>           bEndpointAddress     0x02  EP 2 OUT
>>           bmAttributes            2
>>             Transfer Type            Bulk
>>             Synch Type               None
>>             Usage Type               Data
>>           wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
>>           bInterval
>> Device Qualifier (for other device speed):
>>     bLength                10
>>     bDescriptorType         6
>>     bcdUSB               2.00
>>     bDeviceClass            0 (Defined at Interface level)

May 27 12:26:16 tigger kernel: ata5: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)
May 27 12:26:16 tigger kernel: usb 1-3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 4
May 27 12:26:16 tigger kernel: usb 1-3: New USB device found, idVendor=0bc2, idProduct=3300
May 27 12:26:16 tigger kernel: usb 1-3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
May 27 12:26:16 tigger kernel: usb 1-3: Product: Desktop
May 27 12:26:16 tigger kernel: usb 1-3: Manufacturer: Seagate
May 27 12:26:16 tigger kernel: usb 1-3: SerialNumber: 2GHL7D7A
May 27 12:26:16 tigger kernel: usb 1-3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
May 27 12:26:16 tigger kernel: ata6: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)
May 27 12:26:16 tigger kernel: scsi 9:0:0:0: Direct-Access Seagate  Desktop 0130 PQ: 0 ANSI: 4

> I find that the whole automount process under F12 to be very hit and miss.  I
> have external Seagate drives and I have noticed that sometimes they get
> automounted and other times they don't.  Sometimes they don't get automounted
> after a reboot of the system, but then do get automounted when I login via
> the graphical interface, and sometimes I have to manually mount them after I
> login.  Since the behavior is so inconsistent I've never filed a bug against
> it.  Most of the time though it does work.

I have various usb key type drives and a 500GB western Digital drive automount
as expected. Of course it could be a Seagate problem since I see others
complaining about the same thing.

Interestingly though, if I reboot the machine (something I rarely do), the disk
then automounts.

The Seagate USB disk was cheap so I guess that means it does not have to always
work. :-)

Regards,

--
Tom Diehl       tdiehl@xxxxxxxxxxxx      Spamtrap address mtd123@xxxxxxxxxxxx