Re: how to 'rip apart' a rpm.

On Monday 17 May 2010, Ed Greshko wrote:
>On 05/18/2010 10:42 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:

>>> I get the feeling that Gene isn't talking about the actual installation
>>> of the initrd image.
>>
>> Feeling Ed?  I have written this very plainly, several times.  But W/O
>> exceptions here, everyone is assuming that I am installing a kernel from
>> fedora, which is as yet useless on this machine.  I have an rv610 based
>> ATI video card, and it has been doing an extremely obnoxious fits of self
>> blanking anytime something touches the right edge of the screen since I
>> built this box about 2 years ago now.  ONLY the 2.6.34(-rcN), and now
>> 2.6.34 final have the drm fixes that stop that.  The CCFL's in this
>> monitor have somehow survived all the flashing, but the power supply that
>> drives them has had to be rebuilt, the caps went south.
>
>Yes <sarcasm>*feeling*<\sarcasm>.   I didn't want to be obnoxious, this
>time, and write something like..."Didn't you morons read what Gene has
>written".  :-)

My next message, if no one had understood, probably would have used similar
phraseology. ;-)

>> And with 2.6.34 final, I now have a pulseaudio that is 99% usable, not
>> lost in stuttering, clicking and popping.
>>
>>> I think he is wondering why something like...
>>>
>>> mkinitrd /tmp/xxx 2.6.30.10-105.2.23.fc11.i686.PAE
>>
>> But that kernel will not run my video card well enough to be able to
>> scroll thru an email message and read it.  For every 1 line text scroll
>> attempted, its a good long second to repaint the screen, excruciatingly
>> distracting.
>
>Which is why I said..."something *like*".  :-)

NP Ed, thanks.

>>> needs root privileges to run.   Is there anything inherently wrong is
>>> expecting that to work?
>>
>> Exactly Ed.  My question precisely.
>
>I think your answer is covered by the emergence of dracut.

Looks as if that might be the answer, but as usual, the manpage that goes
with it isn't as clear and concise as I'd like, so at some point I'm going to
be back asking how to do this mkinitrd command line:

mkinitrd -f initrd-$VER.img $VER

Where $VER is of course a variable local to the script, and used precisely
because uname -r will not return the kernel version being built, so I have to
supply the 2.6.34(-rcN) data in my script.

Using dracut.  What would duplicate that exact function shown above in dracut
syntax?  Do I have to build a directory tree as a text file and feed it via
some option like the manpage only half discusses?.  mkinitrd does this
automatically.

Thanks Ed.

--
Cheers, Gene