Re: how to 'rip apart' a rpm.

On Monday 17 May 2010, Ed Greshko wrote:
>On 05/18/2010 09:09 AM, Tom H wrote:
>>>
>>> And this is a bad thing? I, for one, don't want some low-level user
>>> installing a kernel on my machines. I don't want them installing
>>> ANYTHING that's global.
>>
>> +1
>
>I get the feeling that Gene isn't talking about the actual installation
>of the initrd image.

Feeling Ed?  I have written this very plainly, several times.  But W/O
exceptions here, everyone is assuming that I am installing a kernel from
fedora, which is as yet useless on this machine.  I have an rv610 based ATI
video card, and it has been doing an extremely obnoxious fits of self
blanking anytime something touches the right edge of the screen since I built
this box about 2 years ago now.  ONLY the 2.6.34(-rcN), and now 2.6.34 final
have the drm fixes that stop that.  The CCFL's in this monitor have somehow
survived all the flashing, but the power supply that drives them has had to
be rebuilt, the caps went south.

And with 2.6.34 final, I now have a pulseaudio that is 99% usable, not lost
in stuttering, clicking and popping.

>I think he is wondering why something like...
>
>mkinitrd /tmp/xxx 2.6.30.10-105.2.23.fc11.i686.PAE

But that kernel will not run my video card well enough to be able to scroll
thru an email message and read it.  For every 1 line text scroll attempted,
its a good long second to repaint the screen, excruciatingly distracting.

>needs root privileges to run.   Is there anything inherently wrong is
>expecting that to work?

Exactly Ed.  My question precisely.

--
Cheers, Gene