Re: how to 'rip apart' a rpm.

> user. What I can't do, until
> to run it as the user. That is my
> perfectly valid. mkinitrd simply will

> want some low-level user
> don't want them installing

> >> I get the feeling that Gene isn't talking about
> the actual installation
> >> of the initrd image.  I think he is wondering
> why something like...
> >>
> >> mkinitrd /tmp/xxx
> 2.6.30.10-105.2.23.fc11.i686.PAE
> >>
> >> needs root privileges to run.   Is
> there anything inherently wrong is
> >> expecting that to work?
> >>
> > "dracut /tmp/test.img 2.6.33.3-85.fc13.x86_64" works
> just fine as an
> > unprivileged user
> >

> Yes...  I was going to point out that dracut
> supersedes mkinitrd.
>
> Thanks for bringing that up.
>
> --

Yes, but Fedora no longer ships mkinitrd and if we need it, we need to download it.  Is there any new documentation(not the rpm one that exists ) on how to build a kernel on Fedora with the dracut in place of mkinitrd?  How to enable KMS, and how to install the nouveau driver?  copying Fedora kernel's config does not build a kernel that can have X working great and using noueaux.  This needs to be changed and documented so that users can make/roll their own kernels and use the nouveau driver too!, otherwise "evil driver" will do work and give X, but not a "true Fedora solution right"?

Regards,

Antonio