Re: lost commands

On 22 April 2010 01:40, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 13:51:49 +0530, anees wrote:
>
>> I am using fedora 12.I installed many applications using the command 'yum'.I
>> tried to remove and reinstall flash plugin using
>>
>> su -c 'yum remove flash-plugin nspluginwrapper.x86_64 \
>>     nspluginwrapper.i686 alsa-plugins-pulseaudio.i686 \
>>     libcurl.i686'
>> Now i am not able to install anything because commands 'yum' and 'rpm' are lost
>>
>> when i type yum in terminal 'command not found' is the reply
>>
>> PLEASE HELP ME
>
> You should not have answered 'y'es when Yum showed you the list of
> packages it would remove and asked you for confirmation.
>
> "yum remove ..." is not the opposite of "yum install ...". If you ask
> Yum to remove a library package, it will remove all other packages which
> depend on that library. You should have been more careful.
> Reinstalling packages is overrated anyway. There are too many users who
> reinstall packages without it being necessary.
>
> You will need to boot a rescue disc and restore at least the "rpm" package
> or its files before you could install packages again.

Just out of curiosity, how would one do that without any of the
package management tools available? Is it with a separate instance of
rpm/yum that is on the rescue disc? But aren't packages like yum and
rpm not relocatable?

Thanks for any clarifications.

> [Btw, are you sure about the above command? If your machine really
> is x86_64, I don't see how that command would remove "yum" and "rpm"
> as dependencies of the packages you specified.]

The output of "locate yum rpm |grep bin" would be helpful here.

--
Suvayu