Re: lost commands

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 13:51:49 +0530, anees wrote:

> I am using fedora 12.I installed many applications using the command 'yum'.I
> tried to remove and reinstall flash plugin using
>
> su -c 'yum remove flash-plugin nspluginwrapper.x86_64 \
>     nspluginwrapper.i686 alsa-plugins-pulseaudio.i686 \
>     libcurl.i686'
> Now i am not able to install anything because commands 'yum' and 'rpm' are lost
>
> when i type yum in terminal 'command not found' is the reply
>
> PLEASE HELP ME

You should not have answered 'y'es when Yum showed you the list of
packages it would remove and asked you for confirmation.

"yum remove ..." is not the opposite of "yum install ...". If you ask
Yum to remove a library package, it will remove all other packages which
depend on that library. You should have been more careful.
Reinstalling packages is overrated anyway. There are too many users who
reinstall packages without it being necessary.

You will need to boot a rescue disc and restore at least the "rpm" package
or its files before you could install packages again.

[Btw, are you sure about the above command? If your machine really
is x86_64, I don't see how that command would remove "yum" and "rpm"
as dependencies of the packages you specified.]