Re: Clamav

On Sun, 2010-04-18 at 11:20 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> Anti virus is still the wrong way to go for this stuff. It doesn't
> scale well. It sucks a lot of resources. It doesn't match all bad
> stuff.

Yes, it's always been a bit of a fail...  It lags behind in detecting
new things, they only ever manage to detect about 60% of the possible
viruses, it frequently doesn't prevent a virus from doing it's thing, it
frequently can't repair the damage...

> There are other ways to keep foreign code from hosing your system

Yes, prevention is definitely better than cure.  Better designed
systems, in the first place.  Repairing faults as they're discovered,
rather than hoping something else will circumvent the fault.  More
restrictions on what things can do by default (it can't write here, read
there, publish that, execute something else).  What were Microsoft
thinking with the "I dunno what to do with this, let's try executing
it..." mentality?

Obviously Linux is not immune, nothing can be.  But I don't ever recall
reading about there being swags of buffer overflow faults with really
serious consequences, like Windows seems to be *PLAGUED* with.  Yes,
I've seem some notices about such exploits with Linux, but here they
seem to be the exception, rather than the norm.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.