Re: Clamav

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 19:54:10 -0700,
  jdow <jdow@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> When giving advice it's best to presume the user is going to do something
> unusual, such as run Wine, and receive an infection. A Wine install needs
> ClamAV. Without Wine I'd suggest chkrootkit and rkhunter, at the least. I
> have seen too many perhaps careless people ask "is this an infection?" And
> in more than a few cases the answer has been yes. Linux is ahead in the
> arms race. Windows is behind. Nonetheless, some protection is worthwhile
> depending on how important your system's function, your relationship with
> your ISP, and your data might be. I happen to be biased towards "very".
> So I bristle when somebody suggests, intentionally or not, that Linux is
> probably safe. So is flying, unless you happened to be on the last flight
> of Pan Am 103, for example. Low probability of a high value loss - what you
> do is your call.

Anti virus is still the wrong way to go for this stuff. It doesn't scale
well. It sucks a lot of resources. It doesn't match all bad stuff. There
are other ways to keep foreign code from hosing your system (notably selinux).
Unless you are protecting other systems that the data is being passed to,
anti virus is not a very good solution for Fedora.