Re: Clamav

> On Sun, 2010-04-18 at 10:13 -0700, Michael Miles wrote:
>
>> [...]
>>

>> I think that it is a must to have protection on your machines
>> considering I am looking at a machine that was supposed to be bullet
>> proof, and proved to be infectable with windows crap through wine. If
>> you are running wine without protection then you are taking a chance.
>> I am not sure how it happened but it did.
>>

>> The Virus even went to work renaming core files from the xp install
>>

>> So the myth is just that, a myth
>>
> IOW, when you run Windows apps, you get infected. Where's the myth? Did
> your Linux system crash? Were any of your system files corrupted? Was
> any of your non-Wine data leaked? Was your root password compromised?
> Did anything happen that would still have happened if you weren't
> running a Windows API?
>
> poc

No, non of  linux was actually infected and not harmed in any way that I
can see.

My point is if wine is part of a Fedora install because it installs with
Fedora automatically it is part of the system in general.

Considering the way it works I really dont know why it is there is there
if it can be infected as easily as this.

I have removed wine altogether.

Also I did have Clamav running with this machine and even after finding
the viruses with Avira, Clamav would not see them at all.

That to me does spell trouble if
1. A person is relying on linux reputation for not getting a virus then
does something dumb like using wine and getting infected.

2. Thinks that protection is needed and uses Clamav for that protection
and the software fails them by not finding the culprit

I know one thing Avira free is staying on this machine for a while

Better to be safe than sorry!!!!