Re: Sorbet on Fedora's future

On Mon, 2010-03-22 at 06:20 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> Craig White wrote:

> The part of the movie which reminded me of Del was when Neal says...
>
> "You know everything is not an anecdote. You have to discriminate. You
> choose things that are funny or mildly amusing or interesting. You're a
> miracle! Your stories have NONE of that. They're not even amusing
> ACCIDENTALLY! "Honey, I'd like you to meet Del Griffith, he's got some
> amusing anecdotes for you. Oh and here's a gun so you can blow your
> brains out. You'll thank me for it." I could tolerate any insurance
> seminar. For days I could sit there and listen to them go on and on with
> a big smile on my face. They'd say, "How can you stand it?" I'd say,
> "'Cause I've been with Del Griffith. I can take ANYTHING." You know what
> they'd say? They'd say, "I know what you mean. The shower curtain ring
> guy. Woah." It's like going on a date with a Chatty Cathy doll. I expect
> you have a little string on your chest, you know, that I pull out and
> have to snap back. Except I wouldn't pull it out and snap it back - you
> would. Agh! Agh! Agh! Agh! And by the way, you know, when you're telling
> these little stories? Here's a good idea - have a POINT. It makes it SO
> much more interesting for the listener!"
>
> And then, of course, it isn't a precise parallel.
----
ok - I get where you're coming from but again, I think in the end, it
wasn't the Del character that was the problem and had to change and
learn, it was the Steve Martin character who seemingly was very normal
but instead was completely conflicted by the order that he craved in his
life and had to deal with the disorder that came his way and thus
changed forever. A shaggy dog story never really has a point.

The OP has a point however inept he is at getting it across. The problem
is larger because it is his expectation that Fedora is apparently
supposed to provide him with some level of software stability that is at
odds with the development speed, the release early and often philosphy,
the 'leading edge' philosophy that Fedora has embraced to help drive
development. Obviously you understand that there are 'stable' releases
out there that don't churn every 6 months, that don't latch onto the
latest versions of xorg, pulseaudio, glibc, etc. and all the attendant
issues caused by newer versions but the OP doesn't get it at all.

Craig

believed to be clean.