Re: Sorbet on Fedora's future

I don't know why I'm bothering to reply to Karlbot 3.0, but here goes,
even though he will not realise that he's got the wrong end of the stick
on just about everything.

I put forward the motion that pure timewasters should be considered for
having their list membership set to read-only.

Marcel Rieux:
> For a while, I've been arguing with very knowledgeable people here
> that there are way too many bugs in Fedora, bugs that either hinder a
> pleasant user experience or plainly break systems to the point that
> one wonders if he's not being hacked. And, for a non-geek like me, get
> rid of them before new ones add to the heap, is just impossible.

*You're* trying to use the wrong distribution, then.  This one is
designed for geeks, not for weenies.  If you want something set up for
newbies and clueless users, then GO AND USE ONE OF THE DISTROS THAT HAVE
BEEN DESIGNED FOR YOU.

We can't make all distros for weenies, they'd be useless for the geeks,
and vice versa.  That's why we have different distros with different
purposes.  The not completely clueless pick the right distro for their
needs.  The clueless keep harping on about how some distro isn't what
they want, instead.

> If this is the Fedora's game, I'm wishing to play. Otherwise, I'll
> move to Ubuntu or, as security is important to me, CentOS or
> Scientific Linux, soon as RHEL 6 is released.

If you know about more suitable (to you) distributions, then WHY don't
you use them?

Gawd help us when clueless people want to try their hand at first aid,
then complain that patients are too far gone for them to understand what
to do with them, and that they need different patients.

> So, one might ask, what will the contribution of non-geeks to Fedora
> be?

Only in areas that they're able to contribute to.  If you don't
understand, then learn or leave contributing alone.  Nobody's forced to
contribute, so stop griping.

> I wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea to permit new updates
> only every Sunday. But I don't have a solid opinion on this.
> Developers are better placed to make an informed decision on this
> matter.

And on other issues that you think you know better about, but clearly
don't

> What I wrote here might be in part ill founded.

In part?  In *PART*?!

> Chasing users away with "Why don't you fill (no-use) bug reports?"

Bug reports *are* useful.  Ranting on this list is not.  Package
maintainers do not, on the whole, read this list.

Hint number two:  This is NOT an advocacy or political mailing list,
this is a support list.  You're not offering support.  You've barely
asked for support, so you don't appear to be the other side of the
equation for using a support list.  You're just grandstanding and
wasting all of our bandwidths.

> At 19 years old. Linux is certainly not a new kid on the block
> anymore. How come, even with Ubuntu, it is still howering at around 1%
> of the market share? How come all the brawlers who invade Linux
> groups/forums/lists are still allowed to bash new users pretending
> that market share is not important in order to be accepted in
> standards definition, that they'll still be surfing the net with Lynx
> ten years from now?

The brawler "invading" this list is *you*.  You're the newcomer, you're
the invader, you're the one starting brawls, and you're the one that
doesn't understand the purpose of Fedora, and doesn't understand that
the existing Fedora users don't want the purpose of Fedora to be changed
just to suit your cockeyed opinions.

> Anyways, I could go on like this for hours.

Yes, that's clear.  You could waste your time and ours, for hours.  Or
you could stop barking up the wrong tree.  I think we all know what
you're going to do.

> If Fedora stagnates behind Ubuntu for a total Linux market share of
> ~1% -- servers excluded, of course -- it's not because God cursed
> Fedora, it's because there are HUGE administrative problems.

You'd have to be dim, or a glutton for punishment, to use Fedora for a
server.  It's not designed in a way that's good for serving.  It's shelf
life is too short for it.  If you knew what you were doing, as a
sysadmin, you'd pick something else for running a server.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.