Re: Sorbet on Fedora's future

On Sun, 2010-03-21 at 13:37 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> Tim wrote:
> > I don't know why I'm bothering to reply to Karlbot 3.0, but here goes,
> > even though he will not realise that he's got the wrong end of the stick
> > on just about everything.
> >

> I know what you mean.  My hope was that a deafening silence would have
> ensued after the post.  Should another "topic" be raised I'll do my best
> to resist feeding time.
----
good luck with that. I cannot see the point of actually trying to
respond to comments that give the impression of a bug report but
unfocused, undetailed and swimming among endless swirl of uninformed
opinion.
----

> My only comments are....
>
> 1.  How could anyone misspell an author's name, acknowledge the
> misspelling in the post, and then *not* go back and change the Subject
> before sending?
----
evidently it doesn't strike the OP as odd as it did strike you and me...
imagine that.
----
> 2.  If anyone thinks Ubuntu is some sort of Utopian Distro they should
> read, at a minimum some dissenting opinions.  One of the more recent
> being....
>
>      http://www.fewt.com/2010/03/bye-ubuntu-it-could-have-been-fun-but.html
>
> and think about the attitude expressed in this bug report and the events
> preceding it.
>

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/light-themes/+bug/532633/comments/167

----
I seem to feel that this fewt makes some of the same grievous errors
that the OP does... basically wants to personalize distribution
decisions as though they represent some affront. I am neither Ubuntu's
biggest fan and will definitely never participate in useless hero
worship for people like Shuttleworth, Jobs, Gates or whomever but I have
to agree with Shuttleworth... it's not a democracy. Maybe there could be
a democratic Linux where everyone votes on decisions but that would make
it so slow to develop that I don't actually think it would work.

The reality is that you can't please all of the people all of the time
and whether it's Fedora, Ubuntu, Windows, or whatever, software is
largely imperfect and largely unresponsive to each individuals needs or
wants and eventually you have to pick what suits you best. One of the
great things about Linux is that you have so many choices including
desktop managers, window managers, various applications, distributions,
etc. None of them are perfect and will never be.

Craig

believed to be clean.