Re: Backup, what system files are *really* important?

On 03/12/2010 10:11 AM, Craig White wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-03-12 at 10:59 -0700, Stuart McGraw wrote:

>>> ----
>>> yeah but if it's a samba server... unfortunate that redhat packagers
>>> chose to use /var/cache/samba for important files
>>
>> I backup /etc/samba/smb.conf (the only file there I've
>> modified.)  There are less than a dozen samba users here.
>> I have notes about how to add them using pdbedit.  Since
>> this was how I set up samba originally, I am assuming
>> that redoing the same process will produce the same
>> results including the stuff in var/cache/samba?
>> Am I missing something?
> ----
> well it appears that they finally moved the contents of what used to be
> in /var/cache/samba to /var/lib/samba (yeah) but the contents are all of
> the internal tdb (trivial data base) files that samba uses for things
> like policies created by pdbedit, share information, etc. If you are
> running a samba server, you should be backing those up.

Historically, I've used a script that walks down /etc/passwd and picks
up all the home directories, sorts them, then uniqs them and I make sure
those get backed up.  I also back up /etc and /var (except /var/log).

Then again, depending on your backup media, there's no reason to not
back up the entire system (excluding transient trees such as /proc,
/dev and the like).

I do so using rsync to a server on my LAN (prophead) which has a 500GB
USB drive formatted with ext3 mounted at /media/500GB-Drive with a
directory called "Backups" on it.  Prophead's /etc/rsyncd.conf file
contains:

	uid = root
	gid = root
	use chroot = yes

	[backup]
	comment = Backup directory
	path = /media/500GB-Drive/Backups
	hosts allow = 192.168.1.52 192.168.1.53
	read only = no

Start up rsync in daemon mode:

	# rsync --daemon

and it's ready to go.

The clients (the machines being backed up) run this script:

	#!/bin/bash
	# Back up system to a specific directory given on the command
	# line.  Excludes the /proc, /sys, /dev and /media directories
	MYHOST=`hostname`
	TODAY=`date +%d-%b-%Y`
	if [ $# -lt 1 ]; then
	    TGT="$MYHOST-BackUp-$TODAY"
	else
	    TGT=$1
	fi

	rsync -avXA --exclude-from=/etc/skipdirs.rsync / \
	    prophead::backup/$TGT

The content of the "/etc/skipdirs.rsync" file on the clients is:

	/proc/*
	/sys/*
	/dev/*
	/media/*

I make this a free gift to all.  It's quick and dirty, but it gets the
job done.  "If it's stupid and it works, it ain't stupid!"

Note: You'll get SELinux alerts on the rsync server when you do the
backup from the client (the /media/500GB-Drive/Backup directory won't
have the correct SELinux contexts), so put SELinux in permissive mode
on the server before you tell the client to back up.